Tom is a double Olympian (rowing, 2008 and 2012) and channels all the dedication and determination ingrained from his time as an elite athlete into getting the best possible results for his clients.
Tom has experience in a variety of matters for sporting organisations and individuals and has advised National Governing Bodies, sporting charities, National Organisations and Olympic medalists.
Tom has experience across the full range of employment services.
Issues and disputes with employees can be costly, so Tom takes a proactive approach to protecting businesses by drafting bespoke employment documentation and providing first class HR advice, which reduce the risks of an employee claim. When disputes do happen, Tom explores all the options and regularly advises on terminations and settlement agreements, as well as defending Employment Tribunal proceedings.
Tom provides training for clients to ensure mistakes do not happen and has recently spoken on managing long-term sickness absence, the new shared parental leave scheme and zero-hours contracts.
- Advising UK Sport and the British Judo Association by way of the review of the circumstances in which the BJA lost the right to stage the European Judo Union’s European Judo Championships in 2015.
- Advising a Paralympic governing body on their members’ Code of Conduct
- Defending a national charity in The Employment Tribunal against claims of unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Conducting a workplace investigation for a household name client.
- Advising a client in the manufacturing sector in relation to claims of disability discrimination.
- Acting as an arbitrator in relation to a selection appeal brought against British Swimming.
Tom is a Specialist Arbitrator for Sport Resolutions, the independent sport’s dispute service, in disputes involving Athlete Selection & Eligibility, Employment & Discrimination, Integrity & Discipline and Paralympic and Disability.
Tom is also an ambassador for the Muscle Help Foundation – a charity which provides transformational experiences known as ‘muscle dreams’ for young people with Muscular Dystrophy.
Trained at K&L Gate LLP, qualified 2005
Olympic athlete 2008 and 2012
Associate, Hamlins LLP 2009
Associate Seddons 2015
Partner, Solesbury Gay, 2016
LLB University of Warwick
MSc Management Research, University College, Oxford University